Today is Mandela Day (Nelson Mandela International Day). Every year Mandela Day is observed internationally, on July 18th. The Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory asks the public to note, and commit to, the following on Nelson Mandela Day:
- Nelson Mandela International Day was launched in recognition of Nelson Mandela’s birthday on July 18, 2009 via unanimous decision from the UN General Assembly. It was inspired by a call Nelson Mandela made a year earlier, for the next generation to take on the burden of leadership in addressing the world’s social injustices when he said that “it is in your hands now”. It is more than a celebration of Madiba’s life and legacy. It is a global movement to honour his life’s work and act to change the world for the better.
- TAKE ACTION. INSPIRE CHANGE. MAKE EVERY DAY A MANDELA DAY
- The message behind Mandela Day is simple – each individual has the ability and the responsibility to change the world for the better.
- If each one of us heeded the call to simply do good every day, we would be living Nelson Mandela’s legacy and helping to build a country of our dreams.
- The baton of leadership has been handed over to us. It is in our hands now to make a positive difference.
- 2014 is particularly symbolic as we work to honour a great statesman and make every day a Mandela Day as we mark South Africa’s 20 years of democratic freedom.